Conservative Treatment for Varicose Veins
Compression therapy is the most basic treatment for all venous and lymphatic drainage disorders. It is also the simplest way of finding out if swelling and leg pains that you suffer from are related to venous insufficiency and varicose veins. Finding relief in wearing properly fitted compression stockings is a sign of venous insufficiency.
If you have varicose veins, symptoms of pain, swelling, or cramping in your legs, we encourage to you to try out conservative methods of treatments:
- Wear support elastic gradient compression stockings every day.
- Avoid sitting or standing in one position for a long period of time.
- Walk to help blood flow.
- Keep your legs raised above the level of your heart for at least 30 minutes whenever possible.
- When you are sitting, exercise your calf muscles by raising your heels up and down.
- When you are sitting, avoid crossing your legs or dangling them over the edge of a chair or bed.
- Exercise regularly to maintain good muscle tone and good circulation.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If you are overweight, try to lose some weight.
- Raise your feet when you sleep by propping them on a pillow
Please keep in mind that most insurance companies require documentation in patient's medical records of 6 weeks to 6 months of conservative management prior to any surgical intervention.
Contact our facility today at (847) 518-9999 to schedule an appointment.